In my last tutorial, I have discussed a step by step guide to get a free domain name for your blog. Today I am gonna share with you a complete guide to setup Bigrock custom domain in Blogger/Blogspot blog.
While starting your free blog on Blogspot, you will get a free subdomain with your blog. Generally, the structure of the subdomain is like example.blogspot.com. If you want to change the URL of your blog to example.com, then you need to buy a custom domain name. Before starting this ultimate guide on setting up Bigrock custom domain, let us know some benefits of having a custom domain.
Benefits of having a Custom Domain name
There are many advantages of having a custom domain name. I have listed some important benefits below:
1. Custom Domain Names are Search Engine Friendly
If you want your blog posts to rank higher in Google search, then you should purchase a custom domain name for your blog. Search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo prefer blog post with a shorter domain name for SEO.
Having a custom domain name also helps in improving page rank and Alexa rank of your blog.
2. Short & Easy to Discover
It is hard to remember a name like fulltechhelp.blogspot.com. On the other hand, custom domain names (like fulltechhelp.com) are short and thus easy to remember.
Use of custom domain name can also help your readers to discover your blog easily.
3. Professional Email Address
Using a custom domain name, you can easily create your own professional email address like [email protected]. Having a professional email address can help you build credibility among your visitors.
4. Subdomain for your Blog
While using a subdomain, you can not create a subdomain for your main blog, but If you are using a custom domain name you can easily create more subdomains for your blog. (e.g. blog.fulltechhelp.com)
5. Higher Chances of Adsense Approval
Google Adsense is the best way to monetize your blog with advertisements due to its high rates. There are higher chances of getting approved with a custom domain name.
These are the 5 ways in which a custom domain name can help you. Now, let’s move to step by step guide to setup Bigrock custom domain in blogger.
BigRock is an ICANN accredited leading provider of web-presence solutions to small businesses, professionals, and individuals. You can easily purchase domain names, web hosting & other solutions from Bigrock at affordable prices.
Steps to Setup Bigrock Custom Domain in Blogger:
Here, in this step by step guide below, I have explained the complete procedure to setup Bigrock custom domain in blogger:
Step 1: Login to your Blogger Dashboard
In step 1 you need to login to your Blogger Dashboard. After, you have successfully logged in to your Blogspot dashboard visit the following: Settings >> Basics. It can also be seen in the below screenshot. After that Click on Setup 3rd Party URL for your blog, and proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Setup 3rd Party URL
After following Step 2, just enter the domain name you have purchased as shown in the image below. Don’t forget to add www as a suffix with your domain. And then just Click on Save Button.
Step 3: Note the DNS Settings
You have got an error!
After Clicking on Save button, you will see an error message. It will be like “We have not been able to verify your authority to this domain. Error 9“. Also, you will get a set of DNS settings which includes two CNAME records. Take note of the following two CNAME records. You have to use these CNAME records in Step 6.
Step 4: Visit Bigrock cPanel
Now leave the Blogger dashboard as it is & open Bigrock Control panel in a new tab. Log in to your account and click on the domain you want to set up for your Blogspot blog.
Step 5: Your Domain >> Manage DNS
Now after following Step 5, search for Manage DNS. It might be at the end of the page. After you find the DNS settings, Click on Manage DNS as shown in below snapshot. Follow Step 6.
Step 6: Add CNAME Records
In step 6, you need to enter the CNAME records, you have noted in Step 3.
- Add your first CNAME record by clicking on CNAME Records and then Add CNAME Record
- After clicking on Add CNAME Record, a new page opens. Here you need to enter www in Host Name and ghs.google.com (See Step 3) in Value as shown in the snapshot below. Then simply click on Add Record.
- Since you have two CNAME records from which we have added one. You have to follow the same steps for adding another CNAME record. Just click on Add CNAME record.
- Add Host Name, Value (as in Step 3) and then Click on Save as shown below:
- In the below snapshot, you can see all your CNAME records in one place. Now move to Step 7 to add A records.
Step 7: Add A Records
After adding the CNAME records, you need to add A records to your DNS. Here is the list of I.P. address you need to enter as an A record. Here are the I.P. addresses:
Let us add the first A record!
- For this, you need to click on Add A Record under Manage DNS.
- Then, in the next screen add first I.P. address in Destination IPv4 Address and leave all other fields blank & simply click on Add Record.
- Add another A record in a similar way by clicking on Add A Record & then proceed above. You have to repeat this for four-time and add four I.P. address as shown above. I have just skipped these three steps. After adding all the four A records, the final screen will be as shown in below snapshot.
Step 8: Save Domain back in Blogspot Dashboard
After successfully adding all the records discussed above, now go back to Blogspot & save the domain name. Don’t forget to check the box that says “Redirect yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com”. At last click on Save!
That’s it. Now you have successfully mapped your custom domain to your Blogspot blog. You can see it in Basics under the Setting section of your Blogspot dashboard.
This is how you can setup Bigrock custom domain in blogger. Let us summarize the complete post:
Setting up a custom domain name is very important if you are serious about blogging. A custom domain name is short, easily memorable & SEO optimized. Thus, having a custom domain can boost your Blogging productivity to many times. Here are the 8 steps which we have taken to setup Bigrock custom domain in blogger:
- Blogger Dashboard >> Settings >> Basics
- Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog
- Note the DNS Settings (CNAME Records)
- Visit Bigrock cPanel
- Your Domain >> Manage DNS
- Add CNAME Records
- Add A Records
- Save the Domain back in Blogspot Dashboard
In my next post, I’ll be back with some more Blogging tutorials. Leave your love, suggestions, and queries in the comment box.